Buying goods from the USA and getting them to New Zealand
We talk a lot on the show about products that get released in the USA, unless you are lucky enough to travel to the US regularly or you know people that travel to the USA you do not normally get to play with or buy the latest and greatest gadgets. We the New Zealand consumer have to wait until either a Telco or one of the retail stores decides to import these devices.
Of course this then puts us at the mercy of a very limited set of retail stores who at the moment have very polarized views as to what is interesting to us geeks. We have in the past been able to use services that required you to pay a fee , these would set up a USA address and then forward it to a New Zealand address ( which incurred a cost). So all up you either paid a one off setup fee and then costs to ship it to New Zealand or you paid a monthly cost and then the cost to ship it to New Zealand. And of course over the top of all of this you where not sure if your goods would ever make it to New Zealand. I have used these services and I must say there is a huge sigh of relief when the goods turn up.
Recently New Zealand post announced an new service call You Shop. YouShop allows you to ;
- Buy from online stores in the USA that do not send to New Zealand
- Gives you a USA address to send your goods too.
- Purchase brands you can’t get in New Zealand
- Know your parcel is I good hands by using New Zealand post
Critical to this is the last point, it is in New Zealand posts hands. From the various times I have used this service to get my gadgets from the USA it has been great knowing that I have been able to call up NZ post to find out what is going.
Oh I forgot to mention to sign up for this is FREE you only pay for the shipping from the American Depot address to your New Zealand address.
How does it work?
YouShop allows you to send online shopping from the USA to your New Zealand address by providing you with a USA delivery address (otherwise known as your ‘YouShop address’).
- Shop at online stores in the USA, and enter your YouShop address at checkout.
- Once you’ve done your online shopping, you or the USA merchant are responsible for getting the goods to your YouShop address (our USA warehouse).
- When your parcel arrives at your YouShop address (our USA warehouse), we’ll tell you, so you can declare the value of the parcel for customs purposes, and pay for international postage to your nominated address in New Zealand.
- Once your parcel leaves our USA warehouse you’ll receive parcel updates so you can monitor its progress.
I have also used my American address for other services like hulu, netflix , amazon and usa based apple login. This provides me with access to USA content ( which you have to pay for) which dependent on the device can really show you how the gadget is suppose to work.
If you are keen to get a hold of gadgets from the USA then I recommend this service. You can sign for the services here.
Note: I did note get anything from NZ Post for writing this article. The Geeksphere team will always state when we get things given to us.