Its a surface, that’s it, nothing more, nothing less why do you abuse me apple users?
I have had a tough weekend, i moved off my iPad and started using my surface device in its place. I posted a few tweets, facebook updates and a few other posts out there stating how happy i was with my new device.
I have to say the reaction has been something i did not expect and in some cases it was quite interesting / disappointing. I spent the weekend fending off Apple users who got nasty with me that i have moved off an apple device and onto a surface. Even on Facebook i have had some rather vicious comments / feedback.
I feel like i am trying to leave a cult and the others are turning on me, the comments and statements that people have made show that there is a lot ignorance out there ( the NZ media don’t help as they really don’t pick up the positive Microsoft news feeds. Yes they don’t tend to write there own stuff, but they pick it up off the wires. I am lucky to see a lot of what is out there and our media tend to only pick up the negative stuff). I love passion, i have it in spades but this blind approach to believing that apple invented almost everything shows just how amazing apples marketing and media machine really is. The urban myth around apple is brilliant.
So what are some of these statements from people:
- Apple has 95% of the IT market– both Microsoft , Google, Linux and Apple throw stats out there to show how strong they really are. In my eyes all are flawed, but In short Apple does not have 95% of the IT market, they have at last report 19% of the smart phone market, between 12%-14% of the PC market and they had about 48% of the tablet market.
- There are no apps on Surface – i can tell you right now there are thousands of apps on surface, apps for Africa as they say. I am actually surprised at how many apps there really is in less than a week after launch.
- Surface requires a keyboard – Surface does not require a keyboard, you actually can buy a surface with or with out a touch keyboard. It is a touch device that works amazingly well with touch but you can attach a 3 mill keyboard to allow you to type even faster than using the on screen keyboard.
- Surface is an ipad – i am sorry but a surface is not an iPad, it is a surface. A hybrid device that marries together the best of touch based tablets (iPad’s and Google devices) with the best of a PC. You get a desktop and you get a touch interface. You can plug in a USB key and USB devices straight into the surface unlike an ipad.
- There is no music or video service – this one is tough as Microsoft only released Xbox Music and Xbox Video on October 26th in the NZ market. When people here that there is 30 million songs on the music store and that you pay one fee per month for unlimited music and it comes with you across Xbox and Phone they seem flabbergasted.
- Apple is killing Microsoft – there are 1.3 billion PCs in the world and about 40 million ipads and another 30 –50 million imacs / mac books out there. Considering that the surface is Microsoft’s first device that they have made its hard to fairly compare as using the 1.3 billion number is done by other manufactures. 4 million copies of Windows 8 where sold in 4 days!
- Apple owns the cell phone market – believe or not the Samsung Galaxy S3 is number 1 phone in the market. Apple actually only has between 18% –22% in the NZ market. The Galaxy S3 is killing everyone.
I really like the surface, there are some things that i wished it had ( 3g card would be great) but like when i got my iPad i new that this would be coming in later versions. I am sure that it will come in a version soon.
I am really disappointed that i have had to take the level of abuse ( feedback) from what i feel is the religious apple users that turn on anyone that decide to step outside the apple eco system.
Will i stop using apple? No, i love technology i have one ( or two) of everything out there, i have opinions and things that i love and hate about all technology and i will always write about the pros and cons of everything.
Apple has flaws, Google has flaws, Linux has flaws and Microsoft has flaws. No one technology vendor is perfect.