The Real Guide to Setting Up Netflix in NZ – Part 2
Episode 2 – The Setup
Configuration – Setup of the Router and the VPN.
I have broken down these steps so that you should be able get this up and running in about 30 minutes.
This what your hardware setup will want to look like.
(Image borrowed from StrongVPN website)
Step 1: VPN Account
- Head over to the StrongVPN website and sign up for an account.
- I would recommend “Lite PPTP” package at $7per month
- People I know use the West Coast servers (San Francesco) so select this server group.
- You will receive and email with all of the VPN connection information in it.
- Keep this as we will use this in the router setup.
Step 2: Router
- First step is to download the appropriate DD-WRT firmware for your Dlink DIR 600 router to your desktop. In the case of the Dlink DIR-60 you can locate it on this page.
- After visiting the link enter the name of your router – (DIR 600) you will
see the following list of available downloads.
- The correct download for the DIR-600 should be labelled “factory-webflash file”.
- Connect to the DIR-600/DIR-300 using an ethernet cable.
- Open http://192.168.0.1/in your web browser, which should open the DIR600’s administrative page from the standard D-link firmware.
- The D-link’s default login details are user “admin”, password is blank, and type the captcha from the image.
- Maintenance -> Firmware Update
- Click “browse” button -> select the “dlink-revb-factory-webflash.bin” file -> click “Upload” button.
- Wait 2 or 3 minutes for the DIR-600 to flash and do the update. (it should have finished when your browser tries to connect after the reboot, and probably fails because the IP address has changed). After the flash & update is done, the router will reboot to dd-wrt, and the IP address will have changed to 192.168.1.1. There is no need to do any reset.
- Open http://192.168.1.1/ in web browser. Will probably have to update your IP address (if using static IP) to this subnet to be able to connect. This should open DD-WRT’s web interface.
Step 3: Configure DD-WRT
Note: Make sure you don’t use the same IP as your main router. Your non dd-wrt router will probably be on 192.168.1.1, if this is the case then please change the IP address on the new DD-WRT router. For this configuration we will be still using the IP address of192.168.1.1
I have used an amazing images that the StrongVPN team put together, all credit goes to them for these images.
· Reboot the new router (DD-WRT)and wait about 2 minutes, you are all done.
· If you plug into any of the Ethernet ports they will be connecting to the USA VPN by default.
· I use Ethernet ports for all of my Xbox and Apple TV setups.
Step 4: Setting up WiFi
If you wish to use WiFi then you will to setup WiFi on the DD-WRT router. I will cover off some basic steps in setting up the WiFi but I will leave a lot of the detailed configuration up to you.
· Click on the Wireless tab which is located next to the setup Tab.
· Basic Settings
- Wireless Mode – AP
- Wireless Network Mode – Mixed
- Wireless Network Name – <Create your wireless network name>
- Wireless Channel – Do not change
- Wireless SSID Broadcast – Enabled
- Network Configuration – Bridged
Select the Wireless Security tab
- Security Mode – Chose what you want (WPA etc)
- WPA Algorithms – TKIP+AES
- WPA Shared Key – < Create a WiFi password>
That’s the basic WiFi setup done.
How do you know it is all working?
To check that everything is working head over the strongvpn website www.strongvpn.com.
It should display the regional server location that you selected in your strongvpn setup.
Once you see that you are 100% done.
Congratulation’s you are done, enjoy.